Thursday, February 24, 2011

DIY Carseat Cover Tutorial

Best Blogger Tips
So, still no luck in my charger search. I am in deep clean mode on my house today so hopefully I will get lucky!

I love the idea of a carseat canopy. I remember with my boys I would try to slip a blanket over the carseat but it would constantly slip off. Whoever it was that decided to put straps on a blanket You. Are. A. Genius! and why didn't I think of that earlier?

This cover will keep the hot sun and cold wind away from your precious bundle. Not to mention those pesky germ covered hands.


I decided to give this a try for one of my Hubby's cousins. She is having a little boy and I thought this might make a great shower gift.

You will need the following:

1 yard for the top fabric
1 yard for the bottom fabric
an extra 1/8 yard for your straps
Velcro (make sure it does not have an adhesive back)
thread
scissors
embellishments

Step 1: Cut out four 8 inch by 3 1/2 inch strips of fabric for your straps.


Step 2: On the right side of the fabric mark 3/4 of an inch from the top and side (I just used pins.)

Step 3: Cut your Velcro to 2 inches by 1 1/2 inches. Pin your Velcro in place on the right side of the fabric. You will need to pin two straps with the soft side of the Velcro and two straps with the rough side. I used white super soft Velcro in size small so two of my pieces put together made the 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch size.

Step 4: Sew in place. I made a box around the Velcro and than also sewed an x through the middle. I went around the sides twice to make sure it was held tight. Sew close to the edge of your Velcro so it doesn't pull up.


Step 5: Pin right sides of the fabric together so you the Velcro is opposite each other (i.e. the soft Velcro on top of one piece and the rough on the bottom of the other.) Sew together using a 1/2 inch seam. Make sure you don't sew around the entire thing, you need to leave a space to turn it right side out.


Step 6: Clip the corners and turn your straps right side out. Use a crochet hook, knitting needle or anything long and pointy to push the corners out. Press with an iron.


Step 7: If you have done everything right you should be able to Velcro your strap into a circle like so.

Step 8: Use a finishing stitch (just a small stitch really close to the edge) to finish your straps and close the gaps.

Step 9: Pin the right sides of your two large pieces of fabric to together and join with a 1/2 inch hem. I put rounded corners on mine. An easy way to do this is to mark the fabric 4-6 inches from each corner and use them as guides while you slowly turn your fabric. Make sure you leave a gap so you can turn your fabric right side out. Once you have finished turn it right side out and press with an iron. Use a finishing stitch to finish it off and close the gap.
Step 10: Pin your straps so their centers are 18 inches from the top and 13 inches from the outsides of your finished canopy. This fit my car seat perfectly but you might want to pin yours and then try in on your car seat. If this is a gift I think these measurements should work fine for most car seats.

Mark your straps with a box that is in the center, about 2 3/4 inches from each short edge.


Step 11: You will want to sew another box and x like you did with the Velcro. The top and bottom of your box should line up with the marks you made and the sides will line up with your finishing stitch on your strap. It should look like this when you are done.

Step 12: Add you embellishments. Because this was for a boy I just went with coordinating button but you could add bows, fabric flowers etc to the top of your straps. I threaded the button first and then glued it on using craft glue.
Here is the finished product laid out.Here it is on a car seat.


It seriously is so easy and a great beginner project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...