Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Faux Antique Tin Backsplash

Best Blogger Tips
What a week I've had. I was in the middle of sewing a darling pettiskirt for my Ms V (taking pictures for ya'll to see) when my camera died. No problem I'll just charge her up, good as new, right?

Wrong.

I went up to my room and there was the camera case sitting on the floor, open, charger missing. Pretty sure it was Mr U my 2 year old. He is so mischievous.

Anywho, I finished some cute clothes this last week for the kiddos and hopefully I will get some tutorials up soon. The weather here has been beautiful the last few days and I have wanted to get some outdoor projects done but I want to take pictures.

So, wish me luck in my search. So far it hasn't been in any of his usual hiding places.

Maybe I can talk the hubby into just buying me an SLR camera instead :)

Anyway, onto the tutorial.

I was really inspired by beautiful antique tin.


But I could not afford the real stuff. So I went to my fallback, faux finish it.

First I peeled off the real cheap laminate backsplash.

I sanded the wall smooth and then I used a utility knife to scrape off all the silicone and gunk off the counter.

 I primed the wall to prepare it for my tin...wallpaper.

I am sure you all have heard of paintable embossed wallpaper.  I got mine at Home Depot for I think around $20-$25. I cut the wallpaper down to the rough dimensions I needed and because it was pre-pasted I just rolled it in water, booked it (you fold sticky sides together and roll it up) and let it sit. I then hung it on the wall and used a squeegee to smooth it out. I also used a utility knife to make more exact cuts. 

I then painted the wall with a gray oops paint and let it dry

 
I then painted white over the top and wiped it off until I liked what I saw.

I finished up with two coats of polycrylic to seal everything up tight. I used polycrylic because it is water based and it doesn't yellow like polyurethane. 

I am still trying to decide what to do with the outlet covers. Ideas? I am just not sure what would look best.

Seriously, wish me luck on my search...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...