Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bottle Cap Magnet Tutorial

Best Blogger Tips
My-Oh-My what a week it has been. I have been so busy because of our upcoming move and my two youngest have been sick. Really sick. I just hate when my kiddos are sick. They can't tell you what is wrong and there is so little you can do for them.

I am still on the journey of finding some rugs for my kitchen. I purchased one online and I hope that I like it once I actually see it.

I am getting more and more excited for our move and the adventures we will have. The kitchen is done (minus some fabulous rugs yet to arrive) and I have started on the nursery. I completed my first mood board ever for the nursery and I will post it in a few days. I am really enjoying working on this room for my sweet baby girl and can't wait to see the final product.

Now a few days ago I showed you the other side of my new pantry door and I promised to show you how to make some really cute magnets.

First buy you and your kiddos some yummy IBC root beer or cream soda and have a yummy treat with your family. Save those lids.

Gather scraps of fabric or paper to fill your caps with.

Use a disappearing ink marker to trace the bottle caps onto the fabric and cut the circles out. Don't worry if they aren't perfect.

Use a small amount of hot glue to attach the fabric to the inside of the bottle cap.

Next I used the epoxy resin EnviroTex Lite. This is the same product I used on my counter tops.

You want to mix equal parts of the resin and hardener in the straight sided cup. I used about a Tablespoon of each. You want to mix in for two minutes and make sure it is mixed well.

I used about a teaspoon to fill each of the bottle caps with about 1 tsp of resin. Can you see how full of bubbles they are?

Next you want to use a lighter to help the bubbles come to the surface and pop.

Much clearer.

I attached a magnet to the back of the bottle cap. You can use hot glue but the kind of magnets I used had a sticky foam piece already on it.

Here they are holding up some art from my wonderful 4 year old.

You can also buy cute digital art from Etsy that you can print from home. Here are some darling examples.


Piddix

Also if you click here you can see several shops that offer different images to make your own magnets.

This is such a fun project and an easy way to customize your own magnets.




1 comment:

  1. We have done something similar, but with Jones Soda caps. Yours are MUCH cuter, of course. But I love the concept! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...